Penn High School
Penn High School is one of 1,925 public schools in Indiana. It has been situated at 56100 Bittersweet Road, Mishawaka, Indiana since 1958 and remains the biggest high school in the Michiana area. The school approximately enrolls 3,517 students in grades nine through twelve. Students come from Penn, Harris, and Madison townships and many from South Bend. Here is a closer look:
The school is divided not only by grade but by academy. The Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Division follows an integrated curriculum that prepares students for work and study in the industry. The Fine Arts & Communications academy strives to ready students for high-level performance in a variety of disciplines. The Health & Human Services academy offers students classes in that career area, and the Management & Business academy helps students prepare for careers in business and entrepreneurial endeavors. Freshmen are sorted into 6 freshman academies known as “houses”. Each house consists of roughly 160 students taught by the same core teachers.
Here is a look at some of the electives offered at Penn High School.
Here is part 2:
Penn High School opened its doors on September 1, 1958, a total cost of 1 million dollars to build. The school remained in work for a year, making the first graduating class 1960, with roughly around 200 students. Today’s average is around 800 to 900 students per class.
The 1962 merger of the Penn and Harris Township expanded the school system. The following year, Madison Township was also incorporated, creating today’s Penn-Harris-Madison school district. By the year 1965, the school district had over 1,600 students. In the late 1980’s, the school underwent renovations to enlarge the school, costing many more millions of dollars.
- Bethany Galat- swimming Olympic trial finalist.
- Nick Catanzarite – Three-time Paralympian and a member of the United States disabled ski team.
- Braxston Cave – professional football player.
- Scott Dreisbach – former professional football player.
- Bill Edgerton – Former professional baseball player (Kansas City Athletics, Seattle Pilots)
- David Irvine – former member of the MIT Blackjack Team and co-founder of the Blackjack Institute.
- Bryan Mattison – Iowa Hawkeyes starting defensive end and honorable mention all-conference for the 2007 season.
- Tim Roemer – Former Member of Congress, representing Indiana’s 3rd Congressional District, a member of the 9/11 Commission, former United States Ambassador to India.
- Mike Rosenthal – retired NFL offensive tackle.